Your Ad Here

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Laughter is the Best Medicine 1

Check out one of my hospital bloopers!

I remember when I was still a medical clerk and was rotating at Fabella Medical Center (the baby factory of the Philippines!), I was assigned to monitor the vital signs of all the patients together with some colleagues. The ward was so huge it has 100-150 bed capacity.When I was in this particular row, I noticed a pregnant patient with her baby's head sticking out from her!I noticed that the baby was already cyanotic and so my instinct told me to call the attention of the resident doctors and to pull out the baby right there and then (yes, without even wearing sterile gloves)!

And so at the top of my lungs I screamed "Doc, baby out!" All of the patients, nurse and everyone in that huge ward stared at me puzzled while I panicked. Then one of the doctors approached me and told me to calm down because it's alright. What I didn't know was the patient had intrauterine fetal death (the baby was already dead inside) and they were just waiting for the mother to spontaneously deliver the baby so that they won't have to induce labor!

Yikes! I made a scene and it was very embarrassing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha...good one!! "baby out!!" man, that's classic lol

Jan Edward Sayco said...

ey rahul, you cant blame me!i was so inexperieced then, hehe!

i checked your webpage and it was nice and very helpful. i also love your favorite verse.

Anonymous said...

ello jan..
kamusta na doc? just saw your blogspot.. nice one..
realities in life and hospital experiences too!:) im really fond of reading those..
its a one way of discovering more about being a doctor(just in case i'll be back in med..soon.hehe) Godbless jan!

Jan Edward Sayco said...

hello anne! hehe! im glad kahit papano you appreciated this blog.konting pamg-inspire lng.

take care, see u whenever!

I want to know more about...

FREE iSTETHOSCOPE newsletter straight to your email! Sign up now!

Name
Email

You get PAID while viewing their websites! Click here to know how!