Your Ad Here

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Confession of an Atypical Physician

"Atypical pneumonia is a term used to describe a form of pneumonia not caused by one of the more traditional pathogens. The term 'atypical' is used because atypical bacteria commonly affect healthier people, cause generally less severe pneumonia, and respond to different antibiotics than other bacteria." Source


A few weeks ago, I met up with a new friend. After waiting for him for several minutes, and seeing me for the first time, his first words were “Uy, ‘di ka mukhang duktor…!” (You don’t look like a doctor at all…)

I want to entertain the idea that the reason why he said that was because I look like a ramp model or a matinee idol but he was quick to say “…kasi mukha kang high school!" (…because you looked like in high school!)

It was not the first time I heard that.

Nurses in the ward would ask me how old I am because to them I have the physique of a 16-year old. They will jokingly say that I resemble somebody who’s just running an errand for his mom but then ended up having 24-hours duty in the hospital!

I can’t figure it out if it is a compliment or otherwise.

But on the other hand I admit maybe I really don’t look like a doctor—not because of my appearance but because a huge chunk of my personality and everyday life is very “un-doctor-like.” Let me share these things with you:

Generally, I don’t see myself in the future as a “hardcore physician” but, instead, I envisioned myself doing other things not related to medicine. I want to have a great family, serve the poor, be an investor, etc.

I want to put up a business that will be my main source of income (I see my medical practice as a form of service and compensation will just be secondary).

There are times I hate having patients! (if I am not in the mood!)

Sometimes, I don’t dress like a doctor. I am fond of wearing denim jeans, shirts, and sandals. There was one time I saw a patient in our house wearing only sando and shorts! (hehe!)

I am a budding entrepreneur, infopreneur, and soon I will be a financial consultant and will be in the business of educating people how money works.

Everyday I walk approximately 200-300 meters from Fatima University Medcal Center on my way home as a form of exercise (also to save money).

Before I go on duty at the hospital, I drop by at the chapel and ask for His guidance. After my duty, I say my thanks to God. I tithe. I pray the rosary with my family every evening. I even say a prayer before I insert an intravenous line (so that I won’t miss—but I miss the vein anyway!)

And there are a lot more!

Yes, I am a doctor. Unconventional, sometimes even radical!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi jan...
u have a nice blogspot, bout ur blog today,, you're really that "boy next door" type of guy or boy?... anyweiz, its a blessing nmn if you don't look who you are, as a physician... pa mysterious db?.. and pwede kpa mg gurlfriend ng daisy?(teenagers)!! hahaha!!! joke!!! peace!!

---pham---

Jan Edward Sayco said...

elo fam!

thanks! just trying to share mga happenings sa kin. hope u'l subscribe dito para u'l get my entries right in ur email. take care!

Ellen said...

Hi Jan,

Well, if I happen to see a doctor who doesn't look like one, I'd be happy.. cos doctors and hospitals scare me. lols But then both are part and parcel of life and living. God also put them there, right? :-)

Now coming back to you, I'd say you've got your life mission laid out before you --- a healer! plus the bonus of becoming a 'healer of souls'. Or maybe it's the other way around lols. How's that for a wonderful package! Galing talaga ni Lord! :-)

By the way, you write well. Which means that I will be following your blog, young man. :-)

Blessings to you and your family.
Bye for now. :-)

Tita Ellen

I want to know more about...

FREE iSTETHOSCOPE newsletter straight to your email! Sign up now!

Name
Email

You get PAID while viewing their websites! Click here to know how!