Your Ad Here

Monday, November 24, 2008

Sutures



I have a new advocacy.

But before that let me share to you an experience I could not forget.

I was having my first day of duty in my first month of surgery at a government hospital. There was this patient who was allegedly mugged by a group of people, thus, sustaining a laceration in the scalp at the right parietal area that badly needs suturing. In a government hospital setting, there are times the patient needs to provide the material, but unfortunately for this patient he had no money because he just came from the province and was trying his luck in the big city. So we just scoured for available sutures in the “pancitan” (Tagalog for “noodles.” This refers to the used sutures that are soaked in antiseptic agent for re-use). There were also some few lidocaine left from a previous patient and luckily there was a sterile glove available. So I, being inexperienced and all, sutured a wound in the scalp for the first time!

As I was doing the minor procedure with trembling hands, I cannot help but to extend my sympathy to the patient. If he just had enough money he could have been attended by a more skilled physician in a complete facility, and not by a fresh surgical clerk who’s unsure of what he was doing. I did not know if he followed-up for suture removal or if he bought the antibiotics he was prescribed, but by the look on his face, I’m sure he was hurt more emotionally than physically because of his helpless condition.

It is just one of the many encounters I had with patients who sought medical help but were unintentionally deprived of such attention because of financial constraints.

If only they had enough money.

That’s why I’m including a new dimension in my life’s mission: FINACIAL HEALING.

I’m not saying I’m rich and capable of giving money to the poor for their health needs. I also needed to be healed in that aspect, for me to be able to take part in their healing process. Financial healing is more than giving money as a dole-out. Because if you just give money as charity, it is like giving them Paracetamol for the fever but not prescribing a broad spectrum antibiotic that will heal the overwhelming bacterial infection in their system.

For people to have financial healing they should be given proper financial education.

Luckily I found a group* that dedicates their time and effort educating people regarding their finances. I, too, am in the process of acquiring financial knowledge and soon will be an instrument of healing of many people, financially.

This is my dream: a first-world Philippines where all patients could avail proper medical attention because they can afford it.

Join me in this dream. Educate yourself and become truly rich!





* They are the International Marketing Group (IMG). In Metro Manila, they are giving FREE financial literacy seminars called Wealth Academy every Wednesday and Friday (7pm-9pm), and Saturday (2pm) at 3/F King's Court Building 1, Chino Roces Ave., Makati City. For outside Metro Manila and other countries, you may inquire to them. For inquiries how they can help you just click here.

3 comments:

pipay said...

it's touching to hear the story of the man...

Anonymous said...

help by telling your friends: "you don't have to give big,help one person at a time..If you find youreself in a situation where you can help for a bit, extend your hand give little... Little things grow bigger! It's gonna make one persons life a lot better. (i.e. a lady and a boy went up to me and said "do you have change?i just need to buy my grandson some food... He is really hungry." My eyes got watery and i told her to wait right there I'm getting some food,and i went to subway got them food.. what a relieve in my heart,to think that there's one less hungry kid in this world."

Jaime Lorenzo said...

great article doc jan!

i can really see your heart for the mission.

Let's become truly rich so we can bless more people!

I want to know more about...

FREE iSTETHOSCOPE newsletter straight to your email! Sign up now!

Name
Email

You get PAID while viewing their websites! Click here to know how!