Your Ad Here

Sunday, November 9, 2008

I Love You From the Bottom of My Amygdala!


I am halfway through my rotation at the hospital laboratory and I am having a great time!


Aside from the fact that I don't have a night duty (8am-5pm only), I am appreciating better the domains of blood chemistry, histopathology and microbiology! (Am I becoming a freak now?)


And since I am at the LAB (short for laboratory) department, allow me to share with you some of my thoughts about LOVE... (lol)


> For me, love is more than an emotion. It is a decision. If you decide to love somebody, you will stick to that person even the kilig feeling (infatuation) has been long gone. It involves more then your heart (or amygdala where the source of our emotion, anatomically speaking) but your will.


> For you to share love, you must be filled with love. If not, it will drain out the life out of you. Imagine you have a cup which you fill with water. You must be filled and overflow with love, so that the overflowing love from your "cup" will be the love that the other "cups" in your life—family , friends, career—will receive. Remember, you cannot give what you don't have.


> It is romantic to hear from your special someone the phrase "you complete me," but if you are still incomplete, then, I believe what you will give is an incomplete love.


> And before you say "I love you" to someone, you should have said "I love You" first to your God.


> 1 John 4:19 (TEV) says "We love because God first loved us." You should realize how much you are loved by God, because we ought to response to that great Love. It is inevitable! If you felt that unconditional love from God, you cannot help but to love Him back.


> It is great to show your love in extraordinary ways, but don't forget to love them with the little ways (unexpected phone call to a friend, a simple back massage for your mom, a hug for your brother.)


> Be verbal with your love! It sounds very mushy but believe me you'll regret it when you are just saying those words of affection too late; when that person is already dead upon arrival at the E.R. and the doctors cannot do anything about it!


> Love your work, so that you won't have to work a day in your life.


> Love the poor. (I'm teaching myself to be generous.)


>Love the unlovable (that unreasonable resident doctor, that demanding patient, that indifferent neighbor, that person that no one wants to befriend with). It is difficult I know, and sometimes I am having a hard time to follow this. But at least, try.


My friend, live a life full of love.


"Meanwhile these three remain: faith, hope, and love; and the greatest of these is love."


1 Corinthian 13:13, TEV



6 comments:

Ellen said...

Great post! I like this line >> "Remember, you cannot give what you don't have." Exactly!! :-) Keep on writing, you do very well with it. Blessings to you and your family.

Bubz said...

Nice post! But I beg to disagree. From a nowhere near a medical POV (point of view) when you said love is a "decision" and less likely to be an emotion. I say, if the "kilig" factor isn't there anymore, then what do you call it? For me, to continue the sizzling, if I may say.... relationship...or we could also say, to spice your relationship. One should never fail to have the element of surprise.
Don't just be monotonic (if it's even a word) towards a relationship. It's better to keep your other half guessing of what you'll do next. It makes the other one feel that effort has been spent
and not just the usual stuff. But overall, i do appreciate the perspective you have. More like about just how many percent in the world's population could have a perspective that you have. That, hat's off to you my friend. You're one rare case of a species. Gbu! xoxo G :)

Jan Edward Sayco said...

Hi Gen! I appreciate your comment. It's nice when people say how they feel.

Yes, I agree with you that the "decision to love" has no medical basis. It's true that love is an emotion. I did not said otherwise. What I was trying to say was love should take a deeper meaning and should go beyond just mere emotion (which can fade). We are given the gift of free will to put us on top of our emotions (which I believe we dont really have total control of). So when the emotion of love is fading, the decision you made will propel you to do something to revitalize the love between you, just like what you commented.

Another thing, the "decision" of love, and not the "feeling" of love, is the key ingredient for us to love our neighbor. How can you love the unlovable, the poor, the ordinary faces you are seeing everyday, which you don't really have emotional attachment with, if not for that decision to love?

I don't say I'm in that perfect state of loving more than with my feelings. But I am praying that I may follow these principles of love all my life.

Anonymous said...

I agree with this one,
before you say "I love you" to someone, you should have said "I love You" first to your God.

--Commitment with God should be the first no matter what and that the rest will follow:-)

I also agree what the picture says, "True love waits." hehehe!(for real)

God Bless doc jan!

Anonymous said...

pards!

kmusta ka na? glad to know you're so much enjoying med life. parang big irony. med and life in one sentence. dito kasi slavery to the max. pgh is really Pagod, Gutom, at Hirap. hope we all do well in our careers. sken, i opted to put love in the backseat first. i agree with your thoughts on love. n yes, i don't think i'm ready yet. good luck pare!
-willo
my new number pla 09175177765

pipay said...

i wish i had read this post before i posted my most recent blog entry in my friendster blogs... :( this line could be my inspiration.. "You cannot give what you don't have." I nearly cried.. #1 fan here. By the way, my classmates and C.I.'s love the mask i bought. They want to have it, and I make painggit to them.

I want to know more about...

FREE iSTETHOSCOPE newsletter straight to your email! Sign up now!

Name
Email

You get PAID while viewing their websites! Click here to know how!